Friday, December 23, 2011

When You Rise Up (A book review)

I wanted to do a quick review on a book that was highly recommended to me by a fellow homeschooler years ago which I bumped across on my shelf the other day.  "When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling" brings out many good points in answering common objections to home education.  One of the arguments homeschoolers hear often is "Why do you think you are qualified to homeschool your children?" To be blunt, I know I am qualified because God gave me these children and told me to train them up in the way they should go.  Deuteronomy 6 talks about teaching your children in many different aspects of your day.  God gave us the children we have because He wanted us to teach them.

Another point the author makes is to really examine why we are teaching our children different subjects and skills.  Are we teaching are children to read so they will be ahead of their peers,. or so they can examine the truths of God's word for themselves?   Are we teaching them physics so they can get into an Ivy League college, or so they can see how awesome the God of the universe is by putting all these laws into motion?  Teaching is a great way for our students to learn more about God n every aspect of learning;  science, art, history, mathematics, and languages.

This book is a very good read and has helped us see that what we are doing in our home isn't strange even if it isn't typical. I recommend this book to all Christian homeschoolers or those thinking about homeschooling.  God has equipped you for the job and given you his Bible to lean on as a textbook.

"Whatever you do in word or in deed, do all to the glory of God"

No comments: