Mark and I listened to an interesting radio program today that talked about reading with your children. I have always loved reading. I was the type of kid who always had my nose stuck in a book. I would take a book out to recess and read it to the teacher supervising us. I still really like the book "Mr. Popper's Penguins" which I read in 3rd grade. I just love books.
Mark didn't really like reading. When we got married, he could not have told you the last book he had read. He didn't read much as a child. He only read the minimum required for school. He didn't see much value in reading.
When I started homeschooling Nathaniel we did our fair share of reading. In 1st grade I read him "Alice in Wonderland". He really enjoyed it and understood it. This was a boy that they were taking out of classes because he could not comprehend the easy readers. I found that he wanted real stories. He wanted something interesting to happen unlike the books they were having him read at school.
We are currently reading "Little House of the Prairie". It is amazing the things you can pull out of these books. The other night we were reading about putting a candle in the well they were digging to determine if it was safe to go down into. This is a great time to discuss science with the kids. There was a chapter about being obedient even if you don't understand why.
Many of the books that are around right now do not have these great conversation starters. There is no depth to many books. I want my children to be exposed to family values, christian values, and history. I want to fill my childrens heads with questions, not senseless busy work. I want reading to have them searching further to answer questions for themselves.
I love books but some are what we call fluff books. Our children are allowed to get one fluff book at the library. Then, they can get all the real books they want. History, science, biographies, and worthy novels. With so much great out there to read I don't want them bogged down by all the not so great.
Mark has come around and now likes reading.
sara
3 comments:
hi sara,jessica LOVES reading she always has her nose in a book too. She likes andrew clemens books and teeny bopper books but hey she reads the good stuff for reading class. Right now its bud buddy or soemthing like that she seems to like it. They have her read it and then do a report or some sort of project on it. Anyways,glad they like to read i love seeing jess curled up on the couch with her soft blanket and nose in a book lol. Especially with what's on tv these days it pleases me to see my child reading! we havent found the library down here yet but she gets her books from the school library for now. Anyways have a great day thanks for sharing!
hey how'd ya put the pix on your page? thats nice...
you can go to the blogger dashboard, edit the layout, click on the "add picture" logo, and pick pics from the web or your computer. If you use picasa(part of the google pack available through our link) or another HTML slideshow generator, or the like, you can add whatever pictures you want and do slideshows, all kinds of cool stuff.
Mark
Post a Comment