Sorry it has been a while since I have written. I have taken the last few days to rest and get the house back to normal (ish). I did the basic chores and started cleaning out clutter from the house. The baby has decided that early morning (between 5-6) is a great time to wake up. Well we do not actually have to be up until 7. I don't like jumping out of bed that early. However, Naomi will pee on the potty as soon as she wakes up. So I jump out of bed to take her to the bathroom and my day begins. I am very slow after this rude awakening. Breakfast is almost always something homemade, like muffins, banana bread, pancakes, eggs and toast, or oatmeal. Being slow and not quite awake is not a good combination while making these things. Double the baking powder and they do not taste quite right. Many kitchen mishaps happen at breakfast time.
Anyway, I promised to talk about cloth diapers a few days ago and it has not happened. Well here is the long awaited post.
I started thinking about doing cloth diapers about 1 1/2 years ago. Not because they are better for the environment and not because the thoughts of all those chemicals on my babies rear was horrifying. No, none of those reasons. I did them because I am cheap. Disposables diapers are expensive. This year we have been trying to cut out any non essential costs. I was able to buy enough diapers to last for all of Naomi's diapering years for about $150.
We use Dappi brand diapers. I bought them at babybestbuy.com I use a basic prefold, folded in thirds, inside a cover. For those that are used to the old style diapers, cloth diapers have come a long way. There are no more pins to worry about. The cover has little velcro tabs so you put it one like a disposable. They are so easy.
After she has wet one, I take out the prefold and put it in a covered bucket. I then reuse the cover to put a new prefold in. If the cover is wet or soiled I throw that in the diaper bucket too. I wash laundry every few days. I just throw them all in the washer and run through a rinse cycle. Then I wash them in cold water. Every couple month I strip the diapers, this means to run them through the washer with hot water a few times. This gets any extra detergent out.
I love cloth diapers they are really easy.
Write more later.
sara
No comments:
Post a Comment